19 November 2015

The benefits of Beauty Sleep


My lifestyle is pretty hectic the bottom part of the year due to wedding season and full time job commitments as well as working on all my passion projects on the side but that’s no excuse not to make time for sleep. When I don’t get enough sleep, I’m less productive and my work suffers. This year I decided to make a change by prioritizing enough sleep into my daily routine. I realized if I wasn’t gonna get something done that day/night there was always tomorrow to get it finished properly, rather than half-a**ed. I also found that the poorer quality of sleep people get gives an incredibly negative effect on the way we feel and on the way we look. In learning about sleep, here are my personal tips on the benefits of a solid shut eye.
 
You Look Younger
You’re skin goes into regeneration mode between the hours of 10pm to 2am, so this is the ideal time to catch those zz’s. You know when people say that sleep is anti-aging? Well it’s true, it helps slow down the aging process because you’re allowing your body to rest and repair overnight while it creates new collagen for stronger, healthier skin.

Problems Improve
I’ve mentioned my skin issues before with acne and to be honest having that extra hour of sleep a night definitely helped. I’ve also noticed with my friends who have other skin conditions like eczema or rosacea, plenty of shut-eye has helped them too.

Better Health
Stress, UV rays, pollution. All these environmental factors cause problems for your skin but you can’t avoid it. When you get enough sleep, your skin has time to mend itself. A good night’s rest allows your body and mind to relax and also improves the repair process. I find that the less sleep I was getting, the more paranoid I became and sometimes I would get anxiety. Sleep has become one of the biggest benefits in reducing that uneasy feeling.

KV’s beauty sleep tips
  1. Sleep on your back – if you sleep with your face on your pillow or even on your side, it may promote deepening of lines and wrinkles. This is something I’m working on myself.
  2. Hair off your face – try sleeping with your hair tied up (but not too tight). It's a good idea to keep your hair out of your face while you're sleeping to keep its natural oils from affecting your skin’s complexion
  3. Moisturize, everywhere – Not just your face but your whole body. I like to use body and face oils because it helps my skin feel super soft the morning after.
  4. Wash your face - before you hit the sheets don’t forget to remove all traces of makeup, especially eye makeup, since mascara, eye liners and shadows can flake into your eyes while you sleep, causing irritation or infection. A clean face also means that your pores won’t get so clogged because it’s free from dirt and grime from the day.
  5. Change your pillowcases often – changing your pillowcases frequently is better for your face and skin. Like your clothes, you wash them on a daily. The same applies to your pillows, you don’t want to be resting your face on top of bacteria nests for eight hours a night. Change those pillows!
  6. Use an eye and night cream - Cellular renewal of our skin is fastest at night, and this is why we are told night-creams can work wonders. 
If all else fails, there's always makeup, lol! My current roatation is;

Taken with my Samsung Galaxy S5

No comments:

Post a Comment